Finance Graduate Role Profile - ITW Construction
- Scotland, Glenrothes
- 19th September 2019
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
We develop and invest in graduates for our Financial Controller talent pipeline. We want brilliant people who demonstrate the potential to become leaders of the future. At the end of our 3-year training contract our graduates will be experienced and well coached to take on significant roles as management accountants and second-in-command controllers.
ROLE SUMMARY & DESCRIPTION
Our training contracts are designed for graduates who have exceptional business acumen, and the drive and ambition to excel. The programme is structured for our graduates to successfully attain a professional accountancy qualification (CIMA), including the technical examination component as well as the breadth of work experience and competency requirements needed for membership.
Key Responsibilities of this role:
- Business partnering with UK&I department managers
- Back office cost reduction and process simplification
- Accountable for month-end close, accurate and timely reporting to Corporate
- Completing all Corporate and Government information requirements, right first time and on-time
- Completion of monthly and quarterly Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Internal Audit and External Audit engagement management
- Fixed Asset management on a monthly basis incl physical verification
- AP partnering on strategy, challenging financial controls and simplification delivery incl. automation
- Sales, General & Admin cost centre budget management and cost/KPI control, process simplification
- Indirect leadership of the finance team
- Mentoring colleagues in the wider business whose career development plans include finance exposure
- DK team collaboration to standardise and simplify processes
- Passing all CIMA exams first-time in the upper quartile, within 3 years
Controller focus areas:
You will have a comprehensive induction period in which you will be introduced to your mentor, colleagues and ITW business philosophies. The role is positioned to be tightly integrated and a key part of a high functioning finance team, the primary activities and development opportunities in the role include:
- Working in the daily back office finance engine room, working with the management accountant, financial controller, accounts payable and receivable teams as well as the country corporate office and US corporate offices.
- This will include daily transactional activity, month end and quarter end close as well as annual accounts production and reporting cycles. ITW has various key financial controls which must be fully functioning and monitored to ensure integrity of our financial accounting environment, this role is a key contributor to the effectiveness of the fundamental accounting environment. This provides the underpinnings for any accountant.
- This role will have regular interaction with the internal audit function (including some secondment time) as well as the corporate head office functions such as group reporting, financial systems, tax, legal etc. It also requires contact and co-ordination with sister ITW divisions in other countries and regions.
- Finance roles at ITW contain significant amounts of commercial exposure to sales activity, margins and cost of sales as well as pricing and promotions, the role will develop strong use of Excel to produce high quality financial data analysis to empower and enable our business unit managers to make decisions.
- There will also be interspersed a series of projects and process development activities, particularly focused around continuous improvement of business cycle processes such as P2P and E2C, and customer financial transactions such as invoicing, credit notes and stock movements both in and out.
- The role also includes exposure and experience with annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting. This type of financial planning & analysis is key experience to really understand the business’s financials and drive profitability and quality of earnings.
- At ITW our Controllers are financial business partners rather than
isolated back-office accountants, and therefore the programme is
tailored to cover a variety of areas of finance and soft-skill
development such as interacting with and influencing others. The
programme is designed to coach and prepare you for future leadership
roles and develop a long-term career with ITW.
WHY JOIN US?
The wider ITW parent corporation spans across the globe and offers a diverse range of career opportunities for those who are customer obsessive, passionate for innovation and results driven. Your career can take many shapes and paths – the possibilities are wide ranging. The combined group has an annual revenue of $13bn, with profit of $3bn and employs around 50,000 colleagues and team mates. ITW is often referred to as ‘the biggest industrial you never heard of’.
ITW Construction Products is one of seven global segments in the ITW parent corporation. Worldwide, the segment generates an annual revenue of around $2bn. The UK & Nordics division generates over $200m and employs around 600 people. Within the division the UK&I business represents approximately $100m and 200 people.
We are a leading manufacturer of fixing, fastening and drilling systems for wood, steel and concrete applications. We offer the construction industry a wide range of products through many market leading brands such as Paslode, Spit, Cullen, Gang-Nail and Alpine. We primarily focus on and target professional users and house builders.
REMUNERATION & DEVELOPMENT
In addition to receiving a competitive starting base salary of £24,000 per annum you will receive:
- Full funding support for professional examinations, lectures and associated materials
- Mentor and coaching support throughout your training contract and to plan and develop a long-term career path at ITW
- Annual bonus based on company performance and/or personal objectives
- 25 days holiday plus 9 public holidays
- Contributory Pension (employer contributions up to 11%)
- Free long-term disability insurance (paying 75% of salary)
- Free life insurance cover (paying up to 6x annual salary)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free Microsoft Office for your personal devices
- Social and Networking Events
- Relocation opportunities after the programme is completed, and
shorter-term secondments during the programme.
- You will hold a 2:1 Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in any subject. An accountancy or business-related degree would be an advantage and preferable.
- You will be a committed, hardworking individual. A proactive attitude is essential for this position, with an enthusiasm for learning and success.
- You will be prepared to commit significant amounts of personal time and annual leave to studying for and passing professional level accountancy examinations, taking personal ownership for your qualification and being self-directed in your learning approach. The company will commit to supporting and funding your studies in all reasonable aspects, providing technical help wherever possible and providing you with the appropriate depth and breadth of work experience required.
- This role will be based in our Glenrothes office in Scotland, though you must be willing to travel (estimate 2- 4 days per month on average). We have multiple offices in the south of England and Scotland for the UK&I business which is part of the larger UK & Nordics Division. Whilst most likely in our main Crawley or Glenrothes sites, work could be at any one of our sites and potentially field based (though limited).
ITW Construction Products
Since our founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses.
Sign up for job alerts - its free